The Community Fund sponsors the Human Services Planning Council, which brings together non-profit, governmental and educational leaders to discuss, and develop plans to address, social service needs in Darien.
Previous Human Service Planning Council Meeting Topics:
History of the Human Services Planning Council
In the early 1920s, under the umbrella of the Darien Community Association, local agency professionals concerned with the well-being of town residents were meeting informally to share their knowledge of needy individuals and families to be sure all were receiving appropriate services. In 1924, the United Darien Association was established to coordinate services.
- 1947 - it reorganized to become the Darien Council of Social Agencies
- 1951 - at the request of the Board of Selectmen, the Council helped create the new Darien United Fund to raise funding in a single joint community appeal.
- 1954 - the name changed to Community Council of Darien, and in the 1960s grew to include 60 agencies
- 1976 - the United Fund and Community Council merged to form the Darien United Fund and Community Council, Inc.
- 1999 - the Community Council included more than 100 member agencies with a Board of Governors of 30 active representatives from local social agencies, town government and other organizations
- 2005 - the Community Council is transformed into the Human Services Planning Council